Dental Implants in Hickory, NC
A dental implant is a device that is used to replace the root portion of a missing tooth or missing teeth. Dental implants are used to support natural looking teeth and enable patients who are missing some or all of their natural teeth to smile, speak with confidence and chew their food more comfortably. Implants offer stability because they fuse to your bone. Integration of the implants into your jaw also helps your replacement teeth feel more natural and some people also find the secure fit more comfortable than conventional substitutes.
Dr. J.D. Robinette provides all types of dental implants at his dental practice in Hickory, NC. By using the latest in dental technology, Dr. Robinette is able to provide the best care available to each of his patients. Learn more and call 828-267-0651 to schedule your appointment today!
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants provide many advantages including:
- Comfort fit and Natural look: dental implants are designed to look and feel like natural teeth. With implants, you eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures and because implants are permanent, they are designed to last a lifetime with good care.
- Improved speech: dentures often cause you to mumble or slur your words, as they can slip within the mouth. Dental implants are fused with the bone, so they allow you to speak much more naturally.
- Prevent bone loss: dental implants not only replace your tooth but they also replace the root, which will allow for normal chewing. When normal chewing is restored, it provides stimulation for natural bone growth.
- No denture hassle: dental implants do not require as much maintaining like dentures require. You will no longer have to remove your dentures at night and you can keep your teeth in the mouth where they belong; that means no more embarrassing denture slippage while talking, laughing or coughing.
Possible Side Effects
No medical or dental procedure is without risk or possible side effects. While extremely rare, these are the potential side effects and risks of implants:
Short-term side effects:
- Bruised skin and gums may last several days after your procedure
- Swelling in your gums and face occur for up to 48 hours
- Pain and discomfort lasts no more than 2 weeks
- Slight bleeding can last up to 24 hours
Complications with this procedure are extremely rare, but if you experience loose implants, swollen, red, painful gums after you've healed or a bad odor or taste coming from your implant, contact your dentist immediately.
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Implants are constructed from materials that are compatible with the tissues of the body. The most common type of dental implant that is placed into the jaw bone is the threaded titanium cylinder. Dental implants are also available as non-threaded, non-tapered cylinders and as non-threaded, tapered cylinders. The type of implant used is decided upon by the surgeon and depends on the location in the jaw that the implant is needed, and the forces that the implant will encounter.
Who are Candidates for Dental Implants?
If you are uncomfortable with other dental options such as dentures or bridge, you might benefit from dental implants. People with broken or decayed teeth that can no longer be repaired or one or more missing teeth are all considered dental implant candidates.
Dental Implant Maintenance
After your dental implant procedure, you will want to maintain your new teeth just as you would your natural teeth. This means you will still need regular dental cleanings and proper home care including brushing, flossing, water irrigating and mouth was. Your dental implants are designed to last a lifetime with proper maintenance.
Tooth Implant Before & After Images
Scheduling Your Dental Implant Consultation in Hickory, NC
Dr. J.D. Robinette provides dental implants at his office in Hickory, NC. Learn more about dental implants and call 828-267-0651 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Robinette today!