Wisdom Teeth Removal in Hickory, NC
A dental extraction is the removal of a tooth from the mouth. Extractions are performed for a wide variety of reasons. Tooth decay that has destroyed enough tooth structure to prevent restoration is the most frequent indication for extraction of teeth.The most common reason for extracting a tooth is tooth damage such as breakage or fracture. Some other possible reasons for tooth extraction are as follows:
- Extra teeth which are blocking other teeth from coming in.
- Severe gum disease which may affect the supporting tissues and bone structures of teeth.
- Severe tooth decay or infection.
- In preparation for orthodontic treatment (braces)
- Receiving radiation to the head and neck may require extraction of teeth in the field of radiation.
Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to erupt. Wisdom teeth generally cause problems when they erupt partially through the gum. The most common reasons for removing them are decay, gum infection (Pericoronitis), pressure pain, orthodontic reasons and cyst formation.
With today's modern procedures and follow up care as recommended by the dentist, extractions are simple and relatively pain free. Schedule an appointment with Dr. J.D. Robinette at our Hickory, NC office for your teeth extraction today.